The Inland Lake Yachting Association is proud of its strong tradition of supporting youth sailing. Many of our young sailors have used experience gained on our Inland Lakes to enjoy the benefits of collegiate sailing. They will be showcased this spring on Lake Mendota.
The University of Wisconsin Badger Sailing Team is hosting the 2010 Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association (ICSA) National Championships. The event lasts ten days starting on May 25th and ending on June 3rd, and includes Women's, Team Racing, and Coed events. With support and cooperation from the Hoofer Sailing Club, this event will take place on Lake Mendota just off the Memorial Union on the UW campus. The Badger Sailors last hosted this prestigious competition in 1996.
As the premier event in collegiate sailing, the ICSA Nationals will attract around three hundred of the nation's top college sailors. We feel honored to have the opportunity to host this event here in Madison, and look forward to offering the college and national sailing community an unforgettable experience.
For event details, click here
The Wisconsin Sailing Team is part of the Hoofers Sailing Club. Hoofers is part of the Wisconsin Union and UW-Madison. It is an outdoor recreational organization with 6 clubs including Sailing, SCUBA, Ski / Snowboarding, Riding, Outing and Mountaineering.
The sailing club was started in 1939 and was wildly popular from the beginning with 450 students. Members were either students or instructors; as soon as a student passed the required tests, they began teaching others how to sail. The Union Council approved $300 for the construction of a Sailing Club pier at this time.
In 1952, the Sailing Club purchased two fiberglass Tech Dinghys. These dinghys were designed by a retired MIT professor (hence their name). Eventually all the UW's Tech Dinghys were custom-made to Commodore Peter Harken's specifications and called "Badger Techs". The UW Badger Sailing Team was established in 1954 by Peter Harken and Art Mitchell, and has been competing ever since. The team is a completely student-run club team.
In 1974, the Hoofers Sailing Club was distinguished as the largest university sailing club in the country, boasting between 2,500 and 3,000 members. Since that time, this enthusiasm has led to great success in collegiate sailing. In 2009 the Badgers qualified for all three Championship events held in San Francisco and this year have the honor of hosting the National Championships.
The Badger Sailors are getting great support from the Inland Lake Yachting Association (ILYA). A few of us ILYA sailors have created a list of our current college sailors and coaches. We were impressed with the depth and accomplishments of the athletes on this list. Please forgive us if we have missed any of our local sailors. Watch out for them all as they participate in their qualifiers for the Nationals.
ILYA Sailors Competing In College Sailing 2009/2010
- Stephanie Hudson BC - 2013 (Beulah)
- Anne Haeger BC - 2012 (Beulah)
- Kelly Roy BC - 2013 (Pewaukee)
- Erik Bowers Charleston - 2012 (Minnetonka)
- Chris Banholzer Charleston - 2013 (Beaver)
- Maggie Shea Connecticut - 2011 (White Lake)
- Andrew Keane Eckerd - 2010 (White Bear)
- Lara Dallman-Weiss Eckerd - 2011 (White Bear)
- Kaye Siemers Eckerd - 2012 (Wayzata)
- Hilary Kenyon Georgetown - 2013 (Wayzata)
- Zach Hester Hawaii - 2010 (Minnetonka)
- Mike Hanson Hawaii - 2012 (Minnetonka)
- David Thompson Hobart - 2011 (White Bear)
- Cody Zeigler Iowa - 2013 (Pewaukee)
- Spencer Simms Miami Ohio - 2010 (Geneva)
- Michael Simms Northwestern - 2012 (Geneva)
- Stephanie Roble ODU - 2011 (Beulah)
- Gordon Lamphere St Mary's - 2012 (Geneva)
- Brandon Wilson St Thomas - 2010 (Pelican)
- Medora Sletten St Thomas - 2010 (Pelican)
- Grace Porter Stanford - 2012 (Geneva)
- Nick Hovland Minnesota - 2010 (Pelican)
- Allison Prange Minnesota - 2011 (Okauchee)
- Bill Siemers Minnesota - 2011 (Wayzata)
- Matt Thompson Minnesota - 2011 (Wayzata)
- Mike Karrels Minnesota - 2011 (Oshkosh)
- Brady Solum Minnesota - 2012 (Pelican)
- Kirstin Wilson Minnesota - 2012 (Pelican)
- Natalie Sinn Minnesota - 2012 (Minnetonka)
- Peter Swift Minnesota - 2013 (White Bear)
- Sydney Morical USC - 2012 (Minnetonka)
- Carter Egan UW Milwaukee - 2011 (Cedar)
- Lauren Galante UW Milwaukee - 2013 (Pewaukee)
- Christine Porter Wisconsin - 2011 (Beulah)
- Mary Cummins Wisconsin - 2011 (Oshkosh)
- Leif Evensen Wisconsin - 2011 (LaBelle)
- Molly Forbes Wisconsin - 2012 (Calhoun)
- Megan Six Wisconsin - 2012 (Geneva)
- Joe Kutschenreuter Wisconsin - 2012 (Beulah)
- Brendan Boylan Wisconsin - 2013 (Calhoun)
- Phil Morley Wisconsin - 2013 (Neenah)
- Max Wyman UC- Santa Clara (Oshkosh)
ILYA Sailors Coaching College Sailing 2009/2010
- Andy Johnson Hawaii (White Bear)
- Daniel Thompson Hobart (White Bear)
- John Porter US Merchant Marine Academy (Beulah)
It's not too late to support the Badger sailing team and the 2010 Collegiate Championships. The Badgers and Hoofers have a fundraising goal of $40,000 to purchase equipment and provide 1st rate ILYA hospitality to visiting college sailors and their fans from around the country. This is our time to shine. Contact UW and Inland sailors Christine Porter
(Beulah) and Leif Evensen
(LaBelle) for more details. Or click Donate to add your support.
For a bit of fun, come to the 2010 ICSA Afterguard/Alumni Regatta and Banquet on Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 10:00 am. See the NOR for details.
And follow the qualifying action leading up to the Nationals on these Web sites: Tech score
for live results Sailgroove
for video and analysisCollegeSailing.org
for schedules and ICSA Info